Author Interview: Christine Steendam


Seasons greetings!
I am pleased to announce the second author interview in our series belongs to Christine Steendam, author of Heart Like an Ocean.





1. What are you reading right now? 


I just finished Entangled Dreams by Carmen DeSousa and I’m about to start Breaking the Nexus by Lindsay Avalon.


2. Tell us a little bit about Heart Like an Ocean

Heart Like an Ocean is a historical romance/coming of age story about a girl (Senona Montez) that was born into privilege but runs away from an arranged marriage. Along the way she gets help from a British Privateer and learns that life on the other side is not as simple or as easy as she thought. And, of course, add in some romance and love triangles and you’ve got Heart Like an Ocean.

3. Where did the inspiration for Heart Like an Ocean come from? 

I was sitting out at the ranch I used to work at one afternoon, looking out to the horse pasture, and I envisioned a girl running to her horse, upset. I pulled out my notepad and began writing the scene, which turned into 1600s, arranged marriages, running away in the middle of the night, and swashbuckling. But the horse is still there, and still plays a major role in Senona, my main character’s life.

4. Which one of your characters is your favorite and why? 

I have to say Brant. At first it seems like he’s got it all figured out and then we slowly begin to see beneath the surface. Plus it’s so fun to write his bad-boy side.

5. Do you prefer to write or edit? 

I love both. They each have their own merits and down side. I love writing and discovering where the story goes but it can also be exhausting and hard when my muse decides to go on vacation and I can’t. I have a very strict writing schedule most of the time. Editing, however, is like polishing that car until it gleams. Sure, it can be frustrating when I look at a page and I can barely see the black through all the red, but the next draft is always better so it outweighs the cons. Plus, there is something very satisfying about crossing out entire paragraphs with a bright red pen.


6. What did you do to pass the time while waiting for your first manuscript to be accepted? 

I started writing the next one. I never sit still. LOL!


7. What was the most nerve-racking part of the publishing process? 

The contract. It was so hard to make a decision. I really wanted to sign the papers the second I got them but I knew I had to take a step back and think about it and read it over with my excitement put aside. I ended up signing in the end, but it was very scary to hand over my hard work. In the end I couldn’t be happier though. 5 Prince Publishing has a great team to work with and my editor is fantastic.


8. What is your favorite free author resource or blog? 

I love http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/. Whenever I have a grammar rule I’m not quite sure on I can count on her tips to explain it in a really easy way to understand and remember. http://agentquery.com/ is also a great place when you are looking to start submitting. Great tips on how to write query letters as well as lists of agents and the genres they are interested in. It’s an invaluable tool and gave me a great place to start when I had no clue how to write a query letter.


9. If you could only give one piece of advice to aspiring writers, what would it be? 

Take your idea and just write, write, write until it’s all out on paper. Don’t edit until you’re completely done. Don’t even look back. Just write.


10. Can you tell us about your next project? Word is you have another novel in the works. 

The book I am currently working on is a contemporary romance set on an Alberta ranch. It involves all kinds of excitement with an inheritance, debt, a mysterious ranch hand, and stolen cattle. I’m very excited about it but it’s still in the baby stages. I should be finished the first draft by the end of December.





Thanks so much for your time Christine. 

Be sure to check out Heart Like an Ocean when it debuts in 2013, and check out Christine's blog and FB author page.

Happy Holidays,

C